RE: Where is SPF?

2004-12-07 08:41:12
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of John
Hinton
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 10:17 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Where is SPF?

I guess what bothers me is the 'word on the street' is SPF is no
standard and so we aren't even looking at it and doubt that it will ever
become a standard.

That said, I'm a small hosting provider with about 400 hosting accounts.
I'm sorry, but I simply need a 'report' on the state of affairs. I just
can't keep up with this list.

An initial SPF draft has been submitted:

http://www.ozonehouse.com/mark/spf/draft-lentczner-spf-00.txt

There will, as is generally be the case, be revisions to this draft.  Most
of the currently fielded implementations used this draft for their
requirements:

http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200406.txt

I think that for almost anyone except someone actually writing code to check
SPF, the actual technical differences among the specs are minor.  If you
develop an SPF record using the wizard at spf.pobox.com and read the 200406
spec to make sure you understand it, you will be fine.

I know that this list looks awfully confusing.  The technical reality is
better.  With the new council that just started operation, I believe that
things will get clearer in the near term.  In the mean time, I don't believe
that there is a technical reason to wait.  Oh, and if you have specific
questions on getting SPF working for you, be sure to ask us on the spf-help
mail list.

Scott Kitterman