Re: Clarification on "RFC Editor Note"

2005-05-11 12:32:32
At 01:24 PM 5/11/2005 -0400, Terry Fielder wrote:
David MacQuigg wrote:
At 02:07 PM 5/11/2005 +0200, Julian Mehnle wrote:
William Leibzon wrote:
> Having read Mr Hardie's response, I believe he may have misunderstanding
> regarding concerns of the people involved in SPF Community and has
> incorrectly assumed that we're trying to interfere with somebody else's
> experiment and trying to prevent it from running.

Actually, we _do_.  We _do_ want to prevent an experiment where plain
v=spf1 records are used for checking non-HELO/MAILFROM identities.

IMHO SPF should focus efforts not on preventing the experiment, but on making sure the blame for bad results does not go to SPF. A proper standard authentication header should indicate exactly what method was used. e.g.
Authent: <IP Address> <Senders-ID> SPF1 PASS
If the domain that added this header actually used any method *other* than SPF1, that is a clear violation, and the domain owner should bear full responsibility. I would just state the obvious. Results of using other methods with SPF1 records are unknown. I would put the prohibition in section 7. The Received-SPF header MUST NOT be used by any other method. You may want to change name of this header to allow for different versions of SPF.

The important question is if that exact experiment is what certain parties
want to happen.  I very much doubt that the IESG or just the AD want it,
but obviously Microsoft's interests are different.

The folks at Microsoft are not dummies. If their published spec implies a problem that will make SenderID less effective, they will fix their implementation, maybe not their spec. They probably already have.

You are entitled to your opinion.

But you are assuming that the problem is solvable.

Specifically you are assuming that the problem is not inherent in trying to use IP based authentication against RFC2822 names. I think that it may be, or at least within the bounds of what sender id works with.

I'm not assuming the problem is not inherent, or that somehow you can check the RFC2822 name against an SPF1 record. When I say "fix their implementation", I have in mind actually doing an SPF1 check. They might not fix their spec, or they might fix it later if it is necessary to help others with implementation problems. I believe they are going for a de-facto standard.

--
Dave