Re: Clarification on "RFC Editor Note"

2005-05-11 15:18:29
At 01:06 PM 5/11/2005 -0700, William Leibzon wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2005, David MacQuigg wrote:

I'm not assuming the problem is not inherent, or that somehow you can check the RFC2822 name against an SPF1 record.

You can check any name you like against SPF1 record. Its rather the
question of results of such a check and if spf1 record was setup on
purpose to accomodate this check.

I agree. What I like about Wayne's new wording is that keeps a firm NOT RECOMMENDED, yet allows other identities to be used under the right conditions.

          Without explicit approval of the record owner, checking other
          identities against SPF version 1 records is NOT RECOMMENDED

This approval could be in the form of a clear, unambiguous declaration of the sender's identity, with no conflicting requirements. OK: "Hello, this is ebay.com, sending from <IP>. You can check that any way you want." Not OK: "Hello, our SUBMITTER name is ebay.com. You must use PRA to check that."

--
Dave