Re: Clarification on "RFC Editor Note"

2005-05-11 17:37:26

David MacQuigg wrote:
At 06:39 PM 5/11/2005 -0400, Terry wrote:

David MacQuigg wrote:

At 01:06 PM 5/11/2005 -0700, William Leibzon wrote:
<snip>

You are right, the connecting MTA should not decide (by itself) what scopes to use. The decision is made (indirectly) by the receiving MTA and the purported Identity. There must be a method they both support. Maybe I should have said "use any method(s) you want".
No, you shouldn't. The connecting (sending) MTA has no say whatsoever on the SPF/SenderID/CSV/whatever authentication method used. The owner of the domain name he claims to be sending from via DNS record(s) of the domain name claiming to be sending from determines the method(s).

Some authentication protocols use handshakes to negotiate a protocol. SPF/SenderID/CSV does not. This is an *SPF* list, and related competing technologies possibly relevant for discussion use the same methods of determination.

The subsequent DNS hunt will show whether that method is supported. The authentication header will show what method was finally used.
Agreed

<snip>

... Or maybe, please read my words a little more carefully before you react. We need to keep the diversions on this list to a minimum.
Agreed, the diversions should be kept to a minimum. You can best do that by keeping your statements:
1) concise
2) accurate
3) without ambiguity or open to interpretation.

Sorry, but your first statement and the corrected statement are fundamentally different from a security perspective, and security is tantamount to success in an authentication protocol.

Terry

--
Dave