Re: Collecting domain names for the official SPF website.

2005-06-18 05:16:05
william(at)elan.net wrote:

John,

First of you can consider any of my domains confirmed, otherwise I would
not have replied to you.

Cool - your domains are now added to those confirmed available. I'll re-post the list in a few hours.

 And I did not mean to to imply on my last post
that Julian's mail-spf.com/.org were not in the list (i.e.you ended up adding them twice), only that I didn't think he ever mentioned or offered for use these domains that, but I checked just now and found that he did mention them as something for SPF project.

I have spoken with Julian and added the ones he indicated.

Also I think James offered
openspf.org several times (in fact he did it day before you registered openspf.com/net) so you can consider it confirmed.

There were strings attached to that offer - it is an offer of free use, but not an offer to contribute the domain, and I remember some exchanges regarding who would have control over content. I will wait to hear from James himself.

And we can be fairly
sure that spf.pobox.com is kind-of confirmed too (based on that Meng finally pointed it somewhere else) although I don't want it to continue to be official website forever.

I have added Meng's spf.pobox.com on the strength of his redirecting it, and in consultation with some council members. I don't expect to hear from Meng personally.

I also seem to remember that Wayne did
offer spf-classic as being available for use for SPF official website.

I have also spoken with Wayne and added the names he wished.

For when domains were offered/listed the following are I posts I could find for last few months:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200506/0215.html

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200506/0217.html

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200506/0295.html

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200506/0224.html
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/discuss/20206
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/discuss/20119
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/discuss/20074
 (in the above thread mentioned are emailspf.com/.net/.org - add them
  to your list)
 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/discuss/18118
 (in above thread you can see confirmed offer for using mail-spf.org/com
  and for openspf.org)

Thank you for the links - I have already been through the mail-lists searching for such references.

Could you also please also decide if you're going to be listing people
by their first name only (and starting with uppercase or not), by email
address, by full name or by first name & last name initial or some
combination but please stick to the same system for everyone.

I post them as I find them in the who-is. My alphabetical ordering is by the domain name, not the person, so the font case of the person is irrelevant. Either it is a name known to us, or I have the domain name owner's details, if anyone is too lazy to do their own who-is lookup.

BTW - I'm not entirely certain its appropriate for you to be doing this
domain list collection since this seems to be the kind of task that
SPF Council should be doing and indeed website/domain issue has been
coordinated there by Julian and Wayne. Perhaps you should ask them if
they want to take over and as far as confirmation, they will have to confirm with each person who owns the domain privately when entire
list is ready anyway.

I was asked to do this by a member of the council. But I would probably have done it anyway, since no-one else can be bothered to do anything except criticise when things are not done "their" way.

Also for future when list is ready I think SPF council will need to organize an election because this issue is too important to be decided by them along. I strongly recommend approval voting system where each person can choose all the domains he/she LIKES and at the end 1-3
that are "liked" the most (plus any .TLD variations of those) would be
considered official ones after final council's approval.

Having run an election for the spf council, I make no comment about voting for a domain name. Let's get the final list of domain names available first.

Slainte,
JohnP.