Re: Conflict with challenge/response filters

2005-07-06 09:34:33
On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 12:27 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
I do that.  I doesn't help, because the %^$&*(#$ virus scanner sends:

MAIL FROM: <evilvirusscanner(_at_)cluelesswinduhsuser(_dot_)com>
RCPT TO: <innocentbystander(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
DATA
Subject: See how wonderful or scanner is!

We decided to annoy you every time our customer is sent a virus.
We hope this will make you want to buy our product, so you
too can annoy innocent people all over the world every time
someone tries to send you a virus!

In this country, that would be illegal. It's blatantly commercial
advertising.

I actually expected to see a _lot_ more of these than I have, over the
last 18 months or so. I remember reporting them as serious mail abuse to
various ISPs when I used to see them before, but I haven't seen many
recently.

I don't know if it's just that major virus software vendors have started
to turn it off by default (I believe I heard tell that this was
happening), or whether they've started correctly using 'MAIL FROM:<>' at
around the time I implemented BATV, but the incidence of them seems to
have dropped off almost entirely.

--
dwmw2