Re: Explain please

2005-07-07 07:00:42

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 09:20 -0400, Terry Fielder wrote:

David Woodhouse said:

"What if I were suddenly to claim that my name may not be used in the From: header of mail coming from anywhere but my own servers...

"...and I cried that the mailing list's use of my name was 'forgery'?"

And Terry Fielder said:
"Um, most mailing lists *do* change the "From" when they broadcast the posts. Moderated lists nearly have to, and most unmoderated lists do anyway. And the forwarding forgery issue is just *one* of the reasons
why."

(I probably should have said "2821 From" since you then confused the 2821/2822 by...)

I've corrected the part where you misquoted me. Yes, you _should_ have
said "2821 From", because then it would have been obvious that you were
confused, and your reply bore no relation to the text to which you were
replying.

If my response bore no relation to the text I was replying: This means my 2821 response was invalid to your statement because your statement was about 2822.

Ah-ha. Now I understand. Earlier on in the conversation *you* were talking about 2822. But SPF works with 2821.

So perhaps my response did not apply to your statement because your statement was about 2822 From, but your 2822 statement doesn't apply to SPF.

If your statement *was* about 2822, then either:
-you confused 2822 with 2821
OR
-you are intentionally making 2822 statements that are irrelevant to SPF

Either way, I give up, discussions like this are clearly a waste of time.

PS I am going to follow my own advice now about not feeding the trolls: My apologies to the list.

--
Terry Fielder
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com