Re: Explain please

2005-07-06 23:07:45
David Woodhouse <dwmw2(_at_)infradead(_dot_)org> writes:

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:03 -0400, Terry Fielder wrote:
and I cried that the mailing list's use of my name was 'forgery'?

Um, most mailing lists *do* change the "From" when they broadcast the
posts.  Moderated lists nearly have to, and most unmoderated lists do
anyway.  And the forwarding forgery issue is just *one* of the reasons
why.

I don't ever recall finding a mailing list which does that. None of the
dozens of mailing lists to which I am currently subscribed do that.

Derrrr, This very mailing list does exactly that! The (Rfc 2821) From
line on your post to which I am replying is
"listbox+trampoline+735+790734+8d1e63c9(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com" which
is
almost certainly NOT the MAIL FROM which your MTA sent when submitting
the post. So, the listbox mailing list server (like almost every other
mailing list server) rewrites the MAIL FROM when 'forwarding' the
posts to the mailing list subscribers.