Re: Explain please

2005-07-07 00:52:32
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 07:07 +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
Derrrr, This very mailing list does exactly that! The (Rfc 2821) From
line on your post to which I am replying is
"listbox+trampoline+735+790734+8d1e63c9(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com"
which is
almost certainly NOT the MAIL FROM which your MTA sent when submitting
the post. So, the listbox mailing list server (like almost every other
mailing list server) rewrites the MAIL FROM when 'forwarding' the
posts to the mailing list subscribers.

This is true, but isn't strictly relevant to what I said. Do try to keep
up, if you're going to try to be condescending.

Yes, the listbox mailing list server is resending the mail for itself,
with a whole new reverse-path and everything. It's not my mail any more;
it's someone else's mail. So why is it saying "From: David Woodhouse"?
That's _my_ name! Why can't I suddenly claim that its use of my name is
'forgery' and demand that everybody stop doing it?

I'll tell you why: because that's how the world has always worked,
because I really did author that mail, and because even if that
behaviour were 'wrong', I'd not have a whelk's chance in a supernova of
actually getting the world to change its long-established behaviour just
in order to suit my whim.

That's why calling standard forwarding 'forgery' is nonsense. To
recognise that it's a technical shortcoming of SPF's design, and to
attempt to propose modifications to RFC2821 in order to work around that
shortcoming, is reasonable -- if wildly optimistic. To claim that
forwarding in _itself_ is wrong, or 'forgery', merely detracts from your
position.

--
dwmw2