Re: SPF Validation Tools - Yet Another One

2005-07-07 08:29:48
In <20050707083058(_dot_)GB16124(_at_)alatheia(_dot_)elm(_dot_)net> Alex van
den Bogaerdt <alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net> writes:

Also:

" evaluating v=spf1 a mx ptr *all ...
  Results - SPF Permanent Error: Unknown mechanism found: *all
"

should read "unknown qualifier found: *".  This seems to be an
omission in the current specification by the way.

In what way is the current spec unclear on what are correct
qualifiers?

The current ABNF says:

   directive        = [ qualifier ] mechanism
   qualifier        = "+" / "-" / "?" / "~"

So, my reading of the spec says that "*" can not be a qualifier and
therefore "*all" must be a syntax error.

Once the RFC Editor finally decides to review the spec, I will have
one more chance to get things right.  If there is a bug in the spec, I
want to make sure it is fixed.  (I will, of course, have all proposed
modifications to the SPF spec sent here for review before I give it to
the RFC Editor.)

-wayne