Re: Explain please

2005-07-08 06:53:45

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 15:23 +0200, johnp wrote:

You seem to be confusing mail-lists and forwarding. The two scenarios are *totally* different.

They are different, but there are massive similarities. What makes you
think I'm confused? Did you also think I was confusing IP routing and
forwarding when I mentioned that? Or do you have the same problem as
Terry has with analogy?

Ouch

 When I join a mail-list I am aware of the fact that the headers will
be adjusted to suit the mail-list.  If I don't like that I can choose
to not join the list. That is a totally different thing to a forwarder
forging my domain without my knowledge or consent.

When you post mail to an address on the Internet, outside your own local
domain, you know perfectly well that it _might_ be one of the millions
of addresses which actually get forwarded to a real mailbox elsewhere.

If you don't like that, then you can choose not to post to addresses on
the Internet.
I could just as well argue that the _mailing list_ is 'forging' my name
without my knowledge or consent.

RFC2821 != RFC2822

The forwarding server identifies itself with RFC2821. The message displays the original sender with RFC2822. Please try to keep that straight David Woodhouse.

Yes, if I have a modicum of clue I
should have _known_ it was going to happen. It's always been like that
and I'd be silly to think I could change it. And the same goes for
forwarding.

I haven't argued that normal forwarding is necessarily a good thing. If
you want to impose a massive change to the status quo, the overriding
reasons definitely need to come from your side. I'm merely observing
that you're tilting at windmills if you ask the world to change _just_
to work around flaws in your original design, in the absence of any good
reason why it was broken in the _first_ place.

Please stop repeating the same old arguments, broken or otherwise, this ad nauseum just demonstrates your ignorance.

Basically you are wrong. Forwarding without sender rewriting is forgery and will die in due time.

I await the replacement for RFC2822, and the ubiquitous deployment of
SRS, with eager anticipation. Good luck with that windmill :)

You seem convinced SPF/SRS/whatever has no chance to be deployed. So why are you spending so much time trolling it?

--
Terry Fielder
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com