Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-23 14:15:14
For the record, maybe you won't believe me as an SMTP author, but maybe you
would believe an EXIM software author, a very popular system on Unix boxes.

The issue is discussed pretty much all over the documentation in regards to
HELO or HOST lookup, but nothing is better than looking at the directly at
source code itself where the inner thoughts, ups and downs of the programmer
wrote about:

see host.c source code, inline comment:

/*************************************************
*    Find sender host name by gethostbyaddr()    *
*************************************************/

/* This used to be the only way it was done, but it turns out that not all
systems give aliases for calls to gethostbyaddr() - or one of the modern
equivalents like getipnodebyaddr(). Fortunately, multiple PTR records are
rare,
but they can still exist. This function is now used only when a DNS lookup
of
the IP address fails, in order to give access to /etc/hosts.
*/

Further down the source code, you will find even more detail comments:

/*

This function does a thorough check that the names it finds point back to
the
incoming IP address. Any that do not are discarded. Note that this is relied
on
by the ACL reverse_host_lookup check.

On some systems, get{host,ipnode}byaddr() appears to do this internally, but
this it not universally true. Also, for release 4.30, this function was
changed
to do a direct DNS lookup first, by default[1], because it turns out that
that
is the only guaranteed way to find all the aliases on some systems. My
experiments indicate that Solaris gethostbyaddr() gives the aliases for but
Linux does not.

[1] The actual order is controlled by the host_lookup_order option.

*/

So as I said, as EXIM learned by release 4.30, it is better to do a direct
DNS lookup first because quote "it turns out that that is the only
guaranteed way to find all the aliases on some systems."  and it goes on to
say, gethostbyaddr() works differently for various flavors of Unix.

Now, the reality about gethostbyaddr() is that it all depends on the OS
networking style (TCP/IP or NETBIOS or other) and HOSTS file.  It has
nothing to do with WINDOZE or Unix system.   Lots of software still use the
legacy methods, and even if the software was updated, there is no urgent
need to upgrade for this reason only because 99.99% of the systems do not
REJECT on a HELO A record mismatch.

Not convinced yet?

http://www.santronics.com