Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF adoption statistics

2005-11-23 15:59:56

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net>

Now, also, I am not real happy with the sharpness of my tone in my last
posts to you. So, I will make this my last installment in this series. But
please do understand, that you cannot, within reason, expect me or others
to accommodate you regarding either a brokenness caused by your mail
software, or a misconfiguration on your part. At the end of the day, you,
the mail operator, are responsible for what you send out, HELO/EHLO wise.
And if it arrives here, in non RFC compliant form, as "HELO hdev1", then I
reserve the right to reject on that, without further ado.

But you again fail to understand the key issue.  Forget about me. Forget
about your hatred for Windows.  Forget about WHAT your policy is.  Sure, you
can do whatever you want as a LOCAL POLICY administrator, but don't to
surprise if you have a HIGH FALSE POSITIVE. Which again, I'm sure you don't
care about either.

Look, I don't share your mindset.  As far as I am concern, people like you
hurt the internet and shouldn't be providing an email service.  Buts that's
my opinion, but I am pretty confident it is also SHARE by the majority of
the experts in the industry.  No legitimate email service will reject MUAs
or MTAs which has a legitimate historical reason for not having a proper
HELO domain.  As I proved to you, it is not LIMITED to Windows and in fact,
predates Windows entry with OUTLOOK. In addition, I proved to you it is not
limited to just MUAs. And still, you still don't get it.  Well, that just
tells me, I know where you are coming from.

We are talking about STANDARDS and BEST CURRENT PRACTICES, and by far, there
many historical reasons why HELO A record match criteria is not reliable and
thus NOT recommended to be used as *standard* or *BCP* valid reason for
rejection.  Thats the WORLD-WIDE behavior. I'm not making this up.

You are thinking in terms on 1 local individual policy - an END
user/Administrator site maybe, which is fine.  I'm thinking in terms of a
STANDARD/BCP PROTOCOL where the motto "Can we all get along?" is more
important than what you think.

At the end of the day is about "service", you can do what you want on your
end, you can be a good actor and have a proper setup AND software to send
mail out. But when it comes to being an receiver for the other systems to
send you mail,  then rejecting on a HELO A mismatch is simply not the BEST
CURRENT PRACTICE. It just isn't.  You can accept that or not. I don't give a
flying fuck.

http://www.santronics.com