Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Another test case for the test suite...

2007-01-10 10:34:14
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Julian Mehnle wrote:

I don't recommend that because there are quite a few braindead
DNS servers which TIMEOUT for unknown record types.  By checking
type 99 first, you get an long delay for the SPF check.  While you
seem to have run into a TIMEOUT for type TXT, it is much more rare.

"quite a few" -- about how large a percentage of all the SPF-equipped
domains is that?  I'd be really interested.

I don't have any hard numbers, but my recollection from debugging the
problem with pyspf was around 20%.  A very large fraction, anyway.
It would take some scripting time, but going through mail logs and testing type
99 for each SPF domain found would get a hard number.