[spf-discuss] Re: Another test case for the test suite...

2007-01-10 12:46:53
Julian Mehnle wrote:

Adding that to your table I'd say:
                   |              SPF type                            |
                   +-----------+-----------+-----------+--------------+
                   | no v=spf1 | no record | time-out  | RCODE != 0/3 |
----+--------------+-----------+-----------+-----------+--------------+
[...]

I'm not sure that starting to make that distinction is a good idea.
That concept is entirely new to SPF.

It's an excellent test case for this thread with about 100 articles.
In the simplified 3*3 table we get two interesting cases:

                 |              SPF type              |
                 +-----------+-----------+------------+
                 | no v=spf1 | no record |  timeout   |
                 |           |           | or not 0/3 |
----+------------+-----------+-----------+------------+
    | no v=spf1  |   None    |   None    |   None     |
    +------------+-----------+-----------+============*
    | no record  |   None    |   None    !   None     !
    +------------+-----------*===========*============*
TXT |  timeout   |   None    ! TempError ! TempError  |
    | or not 0/3 |           !           !            |
----+------------+-----------*===========*------------+

The first relevant case is "no TXT record, and timeout or error for
SPF".  That's probably a braindead name server, and then the result
should be NONE.

The 2nd interesting case is "no SPF record, and timeout or error
for TXT".  Then the server at least isn't braindead, but maybe the
sender has not published a SPF RR (e.g. my ISP).  Therefore the TXT
result TempError might be better than NONE (?)

Or maybe I'm wrong, but we should have these two scenarios in the
test suite if that's possible.

Frank