Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Another test case for the test suite...

2007-01-12 04:10:26
On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 02:27:54AM -0800, Devin Ganger wrote:

I guess I don't understand why there's so much resistance to just using
TXT records. True, they're used for multiple purposes and that can creat
e problems, but there are other options to work around those problems. B
eing able to say, "You can always and forevermore use SPF with your exis
ting DNS server, no matter what kind it is," is a win. The subtext that
many people I've talked to find in the type99 records is that one day, t
hey're going to either have to abandon later versions of SPF, switch to
a different DNS server, or try to force Microsoft to upgrade their produ
ct to support a record type that is only used by a competing standard.

Who claimed that the SPF RR "is only used by a competing standard." ?
Did you claim this on that presentation?

See RFC 4406, section 4.4, list of steps, step 1:
"If any records of type SPF are in the set, then all records of
 type TXT are discarded.
"