Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPFv1 / RFC 4408 compliance logo

2007-01-21 19:35:27
On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 09:16:35PM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

We are only certifying the SPF result.

I disagree.  We certify what the application claims to be the SPF result.

A properly formatted email, with "mail from:" and "From:" as I described,
should not be rejected by an application in order to pass the test suite.
Other problems, such as the source being blacklisted, can be overcome by
giving different inputs to the test case (e.g. other mail server sending
the message if the first mailserver is on MAPS).

Especially if the application mumbles something like "Rejected due to SPF"
it does not deserve the stamp, no matter which other protocols are also
in that application.

Consider this:

A: hey, your implementation is wrongly accusing SPF of being the reason
   my mail was rejected.

B: No, this is correct!  You are wrong, you don't know SPF.
   Look, we even have an approval stamp from those guys!

If you seriously think above conversation is not going to happen, think
again.  And if the majority agrees with this conversation, I consider
SPF to be a failure.

Alex