Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPFv1 / RFC 4408 compliance logo

2007-01-21 19:42:54
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 09:16:35PM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

We are only certifying the SPF result.

I disagree.  We certify what the application claims to be the SPF result.

Well, OK.  But we have no tools for doing that at the moment.
So I guess you are saying we should put off certifying anything until
we have some way of checking the entire application.  I suppose we
could require source code and have some approved programmer make
a professional judgement.  But the nice thing about certifying just
the SPF library is that the process is largely automated and objective -
even if the scope is limited.

Here is an idea - maybe we can't practically test ahead of time for
mislabelling non-SPF results as SPF.  But we *can* state in the rules that any
product caught doing so will immediately have its certification withdrawn,
and have some onerous process to get recertified.