Re: [spf-discuss] Re: advice wrong, or is it?

2007-12-21 09:45:12
Julian Mehnle wrote:
David Woodhouse wrote:
They would say it because they believe, like many others, that the
fundamental principle on which SPF is based -- that forwarding does not
happen -- is completely wrong. And thus that publishing a '-all' record
invites people to throw away genuine mail. For the normal definition of
'genuine', that is, not the SPF NewSpeak definition.

Yes, SPF is all about clearly redefining the meaning of the SMTP envelope
sender from the fuzzy mess that it is in RFCs 821 and 2821, for any
domain that has an SPF record.

What you don't seem to get is that SPF is an opt-in system.  If YOU don't
want YOUR mail to be subject to that clear redefinition, don't publish an
SPF record for YOUR domain.  It's that simple.

For the rest of us, the benefit of SPF by far outweighs the (believe it or
not) ever so small forwarding problem, or we wouldn't be using it.

Oh so agreed.
For me the "forwarding problem" was that I had to stop forwarding to get
*any*
spam filtering to work reliably.

That and that every other decent anti-spam technical test has a higher
false positive rate than SPF. I hate some mail admins so much right now
for not getting their basic DNS configuration right. It's not like it's
even difficult, you just have to care if your users' mail gets
delivered. Grrrrr.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/