Re: [spf-discuss] Re: advice wrong, or is it?

2007-12-21 13:20:57
At 01:00 PM 12/21/2007, you wrote:

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 14:15 +0000, Julian Mehnle wrote:
>> What you don't seem to get is that SPF is an opt-in system.  If YOU don't
>> want YOUR mail to be subject to that clear redefinition, don't publish an
>> SPF record for YOUR domain.  It's that simple.
>
> And if you DO want your mail to be subject to that redefinition, don't
> send it by SMTP to mail hosts which are only going to behave like they
> have for more than the last two decades, and violate your bogus
> assumptions.

Forwarding my e-mail without my permission or accounting for my SPF
record to a strict SPF checking host will result in a delivery failure.
Congratulations, you just denied yourself my e-mail.

Yay you.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/

Now I am confused (not all that unusual).

If I forward an email from you (with or without your permission) while claiming to be me and passing that email through my strict SPF host, I can do that just fine... I think, mostly because I'm not claiming to be you, but rather forwarding along a message from you (in the DATA section of the SMTP dialogue) with my information in the header (MAIL FROM dialogue).

Now if someone is forwarding my email, claiming to be me, I don't care for that behavior, thus I have an SPF record in an effort to prevent that. Where am I going wrong?

AlanM
The Commerce Company
TZ.Com - Travel Zippy