Re: Fw: requested tweak to 2822upd grammar - consensus call

2008-09-28 00:08:07

On 9/26/08 at 9:55 AM -0400, Tony Hansen wrote:

From what I understand, the definitions of id-left and id-right that msg-id-core refers to are slightly different between usefor and 5322 (nee 2822upd).

That's true, but I don't see what difference that makes. The usefor document can redefine whatever it likes (including id-left and id-right). There's no harm if 5322 defines:

msg-id-core = id-left "@" id-right

Please someone, explain the objection to using msg-id-core. Otherwise, I see no reason not to use it.

The argument espoused is that adding msg-id-kernel allows that internal portion of the msg-id to be used by people in other documents; as 5322 stands, that's not possible.

Do we have an example of someone wanting to use this?

Also, does adding it also mean that we should remove the last sentence of 3.6.4? "Semantically, the angle bracket characters are not part of the msg-id; the msg-id is what is contained between the two angle bracket characters."

This change is making me increasingly worried. Are we sure we want to do this?

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102