Re: privacy is a feature (Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking)

2003-03-06 07:24:54
- Email is one of the oldest network applications, and authentication was
not availble (and probably not feasible) when the protocols were designed.
 Nor was it necessary at the time - the network was small enough (both in
number of users and number of machines) that it was relatively easy to
track down miscreants.

No. When e-mail was introduced in the early days, it was based on
UUCP.

There were lots of early email systems, and I don't want to argue about which
one predates another.  I was speaking of the ARPAnet/Internet context that
eventually created rfc822 and SMTP.  This community did not start out using
UUCP; very few of them were even using UNIX.

- By explicit design, and for good and valid reasons, domain names have
nothing to do with IP addresses.  IP addresses are tied to network
locations.

You missed the point. We are not talking about domain names, we are
talking about e-mail addresses, e-mail delivery, SMTP. And this has
very much to do with both domain names and IP addresses.

you're simply wrong about this.

- By explicit design, and for good and valid reasons, mail originators are
allowed to assert that they are sending a message "From" someone
else.

No. There haven't been "good and valid reasons".

you are simply wrong about this also.  and it's not acceptable to cripple the
mail system or the network to suit your naive ideas about how things are
supposed to work.

Sure. Bank robbery is also in the eye of the beholder. We shouldn't
generally allow methods against bank robbery. Who knows whether the
bank might like it or not? Just let it be the banks business how to
deal with it...

your credibility just went to zero.

Keith