Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM BOF agenda

2005-10-25 19:31:00

Might be optimistic though since there'll
likely be lots of people in the room who aren't on the list and
who'd need the background before they hum. We'll see when we get
there.
Stephen,

This raises a rather basic point. There are always people at IETF meetings who lack background on a particular topic. Historically, the view has been that attempting to include pedagogical material designed to bring them up to speed is inappropriate for such short meeting slots. That is, IETF meeting time is usually viewed as being for work, not teaching. Of course, there are always exceptions, and certainly a BOF is a prime example. However, this is not the first BOF. It is the second or third, depending on how one counts.

In any event this is a very long way from being a new topic. There is quite a bit of history and quite a bit of work has already been done in response to pointed feedback, including from the previous BOF. So the choice between "teach newcomers" versus "allow those who are already involved to collaborate" result in significant differences in how the meeting is run. It is difficult to imagine an approach that juggles both goals within such a short time slot.

d/