Re: [ietf-dkim] Processing SSP issues in January using jabber/concalls....

2007-12-11 11:50:40

On Dec 11, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:

Well I for one think that many of these issues can be resolved on the list. For example, I don't see much if any support for changing the valid first party signature consensus from rfc 5016, and I've seen a whole lot of -1's.

Definitions used in SSP should not be limited to only those found in RFC5016. This is important when following such definitions disrupt email services, and creates a series of false-positive detections of a non-existent misbehaviour.

RFC5016:
,---
|3.1. Problem Scenario 1: Is All Mail Signed with DKIM?
|
|After auditing their outgoing mail and deploying DKIM signing for all
|of their legitimate outgoing mail, a domain could be said to be DKIM
|signing complete.  That is, the domain has, to the best of its
|ability, ensured that all legitimate mail purporting to have come
|from that domain contains a valid DKIM signature.
'---

The description of the problem does not lead to only the From being signed "on-behalf-of" as per the definition found for a first party signature. A first party signature is only one of many possible valid signatures being added by by a domain. Limiting the consideration of valid signatures to only those "on-behalf-of" the From domain is clearly a mistake.

A domain that adds a signature to a message where the Sender header is indicated as being signed "on-behalf-of" while the signing domain is also valid for the From would be an indication of what type of misbehaviour? What problem is prevented by requiring all signatures be signed "on-behalf-of" the From header? Such a requirement will mean the signing domain is REQUIRED to lie about which header the message is being signed "on-behalf-of". Twisted logic based upon a requirement for "on-behalf-of" From (first-party) breaks messages signed per DKIM base and does not prevent any abuse not already within the control of the signing domain. The only possible exception would be for restricted keys.

-Doug