[ietf-dkim] title vs. dns nodename (was Re: Issue 1550 ...)

2008-03-18 09:07:10

Barry Leiba wrote:
<participant>
We should consider, in our last day before the poll, whether to
de-couple the DNS name from the document name.  Perhaps a final change
of the DNS name to, say, _SigningPractice would be suitable, and that
would insulate us from any changes to the document.
</participant>

Interesting suggestion, but...

When someone specifies a signing practice for the Sender: field (e.g., for
mailing lists), what will the node name be in the DNS?

Names should be specific, in order to anticipate additional names.
"SigningPractice" is pretty darn general.

In addition, there is some human factors benefit for administrators to have the
name of the mechanism be the same as the value for a technical string.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking