Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM charter update proposal

2009-10-18 18:23:26
I'm going to re-iterate my point for this perspective.  We do not yet have
a broad experience base with deployment of DKIM by large, heterogeneous
organizations.  This is a hard problem for them because they first have to
get their outbound mail architecture under control.

My view is that these types of deployments are the ones that will teach us
the most about the protocol and we are at least a year and maybe two or
three from getting significant experience/feedback to support progressing
DKIM along the standards track.

ACK.

I should point out -- just as a process point -- that moving from PS
to DS is not a statement that we have a great deal of operational
experience and that this is a solid, mature protocol.  That happens
when we go from DS to full Standard.  The move to DS says that the
protocol is stable and has been shown to interoperate.  It's possible
to move what we have to DS, then decide it needs updating -- in which
case the update goes back to PS again.

That's not to express an opinion on Scott's point at all... just to
make the process issues clear.

Barry