Re: [ietf-dkim] Proposal: Removal of AUID (i= tag/value)

2011-04-04 09:49:44
Characterizing our 'customers' for this standard as "hostile or
aincompetent" doesn't seem like posturing ourselves for success.  There
are deployment considerations that impact adoption of many (all?) technical
standards.  We ignore them at our peril.

Hmmn.  Where I come from, the people who run the DNS are the support
staff, not the customers, but whatever.

In any event, if an organization can't deal with installing a handful of
innocuous TXT records in its DNS, their heads are going to explode when
they have to deal with IPv6 and DNSSEC.  Dave Crocker should probably
chime in here, but kludges to work around short term deployment problems
are rarely a good way to do long term standards development.  The problems
go away, but the kludges don't.

I think it would be a fine idea to come up with tools to help maintain the
necessary DNS records.  In the small scale at least, I can report that
it's very simple and my monthly DKIM key rotation is completely automated.
Large organizations have larger issues, but the right thing to do is to
help to deal with the problem.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",