Re: transition to MASS, was Why we really don't require requirements

2004-10-11 08:35:29

At 11:47 PM 10/10/2004 -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Jim Fenton wrote:

I did say I was "guessing" and I'd love to get real data myself. I did
check my mailbox and out of last 10,000 messages in it I found 17 that
did not contain mime-version header - that is very very low number.

I did a similar check and found 17 messages on this mailing list (all
from John Levine :-) )
that did not contain mime-version headers.
No - his messages all contain Mime-version header.

On both my home and office feeds of this mailing list, some of John's messages
have MIME-Version headers, and some do not.

But the count of MIME-Version headers misses the point.  We have been imprecise
in saying that "the need to convert messages to MIME" is the problem, since a
text/plain message with the MIME information in the headers is indeed a MIME
message, and converting to that wouldn't be a problem.  The question we should
be asking is whether it's necessary to convert non-MIME messages or text/plain
messages into multipart MIME messages.

Or if that definition is imprecise too, please help me with that.

-Jim