Re: Requiring no MIME support

2004-10-11 09:30:50

 We want  intermediate MUAs, receiving MUAs and their
 associated recipients to be able to continue processing
 messages without having to make any changes.  In this
 case, the requirement is far more strict than it
 originally was for the introduction of MIME:

 You mean "intermediate MTAs", don't you?

No.

cf., Section 2.  Email Actor Roles, of draft-crocker-mail-arch

specifically:

 2.1.4  Forwarder

 Email often transits intermediate, user-level points, called
 Forwarders.  The task of a Forwarder is to perform additional

so I guess I should have said 'forwarder'.

Is the "associated
 recipient" usually a human, but sometimes something like a
 mailing list manager?

I mean forwarder to cover list managers and I mean "final"
recipients, like a human or a higher-level application (like a
Fax gateway or an EDI processor).

 "No changes" includes no visible effect on the body of the
 message.

 This is important to those who might have to field calls from
 users/customers asking, "What's this extra junk in the
 message?"

yup.

I believe it is the compelling reason to encode the
authentication information into the rfc2822 headers.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking