Re: Requiring no MIME support

2004-10-11 09:18:45

At 08:59 AM 10/11/2004 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

Let me try a line of attack that is more macro-view and less
technical:

Agreed.  What we're interested in is the end effect and not the use/non-use of
a particular technology.

       We want  intermediate MUAs, receiving MUAs and their associated
recipients to be able to continue processing messages without
having to make any changes.  In this case, the requirement is far
more strict than it originally was for the introduction of MIME:

You mean "intermediate MTAs", don't you?  Is the "associated recipient" usually
a human, but sometimes something like a mailing list manager?

       "No changes" includes no visible effect on the body of the
message.

This is important to those who might have to field calls from users/customers
asking, "What's this extra junk in the message?"

-Jim