Re: consensus call on pra/mailfrom deployment and versioning/scope

2004-09-08 13:08:23

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:20:42PM -0500,
 wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 54 lines which said:

Are you saying that, by adding the mailfrom scope, you think that the
marid-pra I-D can/should advance?   If so, I strongly disagree with
this position.

It can advance at a different pace. For instance, -core, -protocol and
-mailfrom may be published on the Standards Track while -pra is
published as Experimental and may be "upgraded" later if the frivolous
Microsoft patent is invalidated.

As long as it is reasonably easy to drop -pra support, I agree with
the proposal. Crypto software use a similar technique when some
algorithms are patented. They can even be implemented in a separate
shared library, may be published in a different archive ("non-free"
for Debian).

1) I really doubt that we will be able to gain any sort of consensus
   on the support of 2821.MAILFROM in the time remaining in the
   current last call.

I agree. We should restart the process.