RE: OCP transport vote, commitment

2003-05-12 08:30:06

On Mon, 12 May 2003, jfcm wrote:

This presupposes that BEEP mechanisms are carved in stone. What if
they update sometimes in a way OCPTRAN cannot or does not want to
support. What will be the real life impact (this was as stated the
reason why I kept interest in the BEEP solution too).

Two answers:

        (1) It is up to us whether we want to support upward
            compatibility with future modifications of BEEP (if any).
            For example, we can specify the exact protocol to be used.
            This is what BEEP itself does with respect to XML -- BEEP
            specifies that XML/1.0 is to be used (not XML/1.1 or any
            other version).

        (2) BEEP has no versioning mechanism and, thus, its
            mechanisms are carved in stone.

In short, this should not be a problem.

Alex.