Re: Overview of per-recipient data reply proposals

2007-02-04 16:17:04
On 2007-02-04 16:11:51 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
On 2/4/2007 12:31 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
I'll try to provide an overview of various proposals I am aware of which
allow a server to return different reply codes for different recipients
after receiving the data. They are in roughly chronological order.

I'd add another slice to your list, which is whether content inspection is
separate from delivery or not.

Many of us are using tools that inspect the message body before we decide
to bother with delivery, so this is an important filter.

I'm not sure I understand. All of the proposals allow content-inspection
according to per-recipient rules before delivery. That doesn't seem to
be a distinguishing feature.

If you are referring to your mail
<45C5F6D7(_dot_)1020000(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com>, the
point you make is that the deferral draft doesn't allow delivery to
start before the final reply, while with the LMTP model the message can
be delivered to a recipient as soon as content scanning for that
particular recipient is done.

BTW, the term "delivery" is a bit slippery here. Unlike an LMTP-server
which delivers directly into a user's mailbox, an SMTP server does not
generally do that. It may forward the mail to another SMTP server. So I
prefer to say that the server "accepts" or "commits" the message, which
means that now the server is responsible for further delivery, but
omits the details how and when that delivery is done. In many cases the
message (plus recipient(s)) will be written to a queue and the next
delivery attempt will start sometime later.

The information when the server accepts a message is in the list
already. There should probably also be performance and implementation
considerations.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.