another per-recipient data reply proposal (was: Overview ...)

2007-02-04 18:20:21

Here's another proposal based on my implementation experiences:

* Client initiates by sending MAIL with an extension.
* RCPT returns normal reply codes.
* DATA and the last BDAT return (in order):
  - one reply code per recipient which got a 2yz reply.
  - one end of mail reply code (as in the current ESMTP model,
    which is the same as the "final" reply code in
    draft-hall-deferrals).

This is the approach the causes the least changes to existing code
(at least in the MTAs that I maintain) and does not introduce complex
error handling. Maybe others can take a look at exim, postfix,
qmail, etc?