Re: per user post-data rejects, Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-12 18:42:35

On Aug 12, 2010, at 3:55 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Might as well ask an even more basic question:

I had the impression that multi-recipient RCPT-TO usage had essentially
disappeared.

Decreased, probably, but nowhere near disappeared.

 The growth of sending per-recipient tailored messages seemed to be the cause.

Only in higher-end mailing list managers. The main advantages of avoiding
multiple recipients is the ability to use VERP for automated bounce handling
and, to a slightly lesser degree, customized URLs for list management.

If I send mail from my MUA to two recipients at the same domain, or use any of
a number of less powerful MLMs, they'll probably use multiple recipients for a
single message.

If my impression is wrong, is there any useful (and accurate)
characterization we can make of different types of SMTP (relaying) usage
patterns and their popularity?

Cheers,
  Steve