Re: per user post-data rejects, Processing after the end of DATA

2010-08-13 08:36:35

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Steve Atkins wrote:

 The growth of sending per-recipient tailored messages seemed to be
the cause.

Only in higher-end mailing list managers.

A significant number of my users send per-recipient customized mailshots
to alumni using a Microsoft Office mailmerge facility.

The mean number of recipients we get on mail to our MXs is 1.1. The
overall number (for both internal and external mail) is higher, about 1.3,
because of multi-recipient message submission and because of our internal
mailing list server. This mean is much lower at the moment than it is
during term.

Here's a historical graph which shows the proportion has not changed very
much over the last several years. MsgIn and MsgOut count accepted and
delivered messages respectively. XRcpt counts additional deliveries, i.e.
it's the 0.3 part of the 1.3 mean above. The lump in 2007-2008 is due to
poor spam filtering.
http://canvas.csi.cam.ac.uk/stats/ppsw/img/rawtraffic.2160days.gif

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: NORTHWESTERLY, BACKING SOUTHWESTERLY FOR A TIME, 4 OR 5,