Re: SMTP traffic control

2011-10-24 18:51:55

Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:

Hector wrote:
Personally I think this is a solution looking for a problem.

The cliche is nice, but there is a recognized problem and a reproducible proof of concept solution possible to help minimize the impact.

Hector, I've seen nothing in the past two of weeks of discussion that identify a "problem." What you've identified is, at best, a narrow potential optimization. A potential optimization is not a problem.

I personally do not wish to get into the engineering philosophical ideology and semantics of what constitutes an optimization and/or "problem" and whether an optimization is or is not a solution to a problem.

There are many views to this, one can be that the system has degraded and that in itself can be viewed or defined a problem. The solution is be viewed as a "Fix", "adjustment" and/or optimization.

Me? Technically, an optimization is something that is done to a system that has not changed, and you are improving it. However, when there is an recognized issue that has moved it to a less-quality state, an action taken is not necessarily an optimization. Nonetheless, it can all falls under the same concepts where to me worth to waste time on.

Further, optimizations are notorious for having unexpected side effects, and I think people have already raised some of those here.

Yet another generalization cliche.

Much of this is about perception and IMV, there is a real issue out there, whether you feel it or not.

I just don't wish to see a proactive effort to improve/fix/optimize the current environment be thrown own because of limited perception that smoke isn't good enough to look at some proposals - that we need FIRE before anything is done, and not only fire, but everyone's house is burning.