Re: SMTP traffic control

2011-10-28 16:17:14

On Oct 28, 2011, at 1:49 PM, Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:

Steve Atkins wrote:
It would be nice if the server could say "give me a minute to get my stuff
together and come back", have the client retry in 60 seconds and get the
mail accepted for delivery - with a delay of a minute or so, rather than a
delay of 30 minutes. The server gets to shed load, the client gets to dump a
message out of it's queue and the human correspondents see fast, in-order
mail delivery rather than slow, out-of-order delivery.

That's the end-user visible part of the thought behind
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-atkins-smtp-traffic-control/ anyway.

I'd support that proposal. I might even implement it.

Unfortunately, the dominant conversation seems to be around an SMTP response
that only applies to greylisting. I'd never use that or support it, it's such
a teeny-tiny corner case, especially in the B-to-B world where I live.

Me too.

But that's the thing with an open mailing list - people who are really
interested in one niche aspect of a subject or a broad generalization of one
can easily dominate the conversation. And a broad, general blue-sky idea will
always provoke more discussion than a trivially simple one. I'd suggest
changing the title and spinning off a sub-thread to discuss just the "SMTP
traffic control" aspect, but that didn't work too well last time…

Let me spin up a new thread, with an implicit "no, I don't mean greylisting"
subtext. :)

Cheers,
  Steve