Re: Server Enforcement of Time Blocks (wait=)

2011-10-28 22:47:09

Steve, thanks for the clarification.

Indeed, if the proposal does not offer a server enforcement methodology, then its not going to be modeled on a Greylisting concept with its key idea of a blocking time enforcement, hence I can see value when the HONOR system is followed. This is good for private networks or those with working relationships.

But I am sure there would be a concern with a no enforcement model in the open market since the tendency will be "why bother?" Even within the Honor System, good intention clients who feel they must get a message delivered, or simply has no incentive to bother with code changes, will cross their fingers and just retry again. After all, the new please "wait=" idea is for the *other guy" and not them.

Yes, I understand completely the maintenance and perhaps for loading balancing/limiting.

The latter is more complex. GL at 421 is rare but it does exist. In general its just to control loads. But for the specific example of a down system, the feasibility of offering a wait probably is lower than just having it down for a short fast maintenance period. Most systems will have redundancy in place. But I can see smaller system using some TinySMTP program, like many use the popular small footprint TinyWeb for these informative "Temporarily Out of Service" single page web announcements. With TinySMTP, it can provide the 421 with the "wait=" hint so compliant MTAs don't have waste time trying again. And for these scenarios, if a system opts to do this, then they really cares any MTA retrying anyway. Its only going to be done for a very short period anyway.

Anyway, I just think the no enforcement approach, to me, provides no incentive to put in the time and money to support it. While I could support it as a client, as a server, to spit out this information, it has to have some weight behind it. My opinion.

--
HLS