Re: [ietf-smtp] Curious, with this now being associated to emailcore, should list name change?

2020-07-20 13:27:16
In article <B7E061A14E80279E1E14D92F@PSB> you write:
It is interesting that every one of these starts in "X-".

Presumably, by putting "X-" in front of their field names, the
perpetrators believe that they are exempt, not only from the
registry and its rules, but any rules at all. ...

No, they heard somewhere that you put x- in front of header names you
make up and the only registry they know about is the one in MS
Windows.

I did a similar sweep through my mail archive and found 1388 different
headers, all but 144 of which start with x-. Here's the longest ones,
all of which thoughtfully tell who to blame:

x-ms-exchange-crosstenant-originalattributedtenantconnectingip
x-ms-exchange-crosstenant-rms-persistedconsumerorg
x-ms-exchange-transport-crosstenantheadersstamped
x-ms-exchange-transport-crosstenantheadersstripped
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-information
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-spamscore
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-watermark

My experience with people from Microsoft is that they are plenty smart
but often have no idea what they don't know. It might be productive to
make a few queries and see if we can encourage them to register them a
provisional names so at least there's less chance of collision.