Re: [ietf-smtp] Curious, with this now being associated to emailcore, should list name change?

2020-07-20 16:47:30
Given that so many headers are out there, that are not on any registry list, other than name space collisions, what other reasons are out there that can help encourage registration..

And BTW, we add some X-headers, specific to our email platforms, that are only meant to be added for MTA->MTA final destination, rather than headers that are being inserted on outbound traffic..

Those in theory don't need the same level of registration, correct? Comments? Back when we first started our MagicMail platforms, the recommendation was to use X- headers, however that recommendation has been countered since.. we left them as X- headers, since it was more backwards compatible, trying to see an argument why we should change now after 18 years..

If we see these headers on inbound traffic, they are 'stripped' as we know they shouldn't really exist in the wild in MTA->MTA traffic, and they no longer can be trusted..

Most are for internal use, eg whether the content was detected as spammy by the SMTP engines etc, remote MTA's operating system and other identifiers or tools for metrics, they all start with X-MagicMail to make it easy to protect it as a named space, eg we know they only should be insert on acceptance by our MTA's

On 2020-07-20 11:27 a.m., John Levine wrote:
In article <B7E061A14E80279E1E14D92F@PSB> you write:
It is interesting that every one of these starts in "X-".

Presumably, by putting "X-" in front of their field names, the
perpetrators believe that they are exempt, not only from the
registry and its rules, but any rules at all. ...

No, they heard somewhere that you put x- in front of header names you
make up and the only registry they know about is the one in MS
Windows.

I did a similar sweep through my mail archive and found 1388 different
headers, all but 144 of which start with x-. Here's the longest ones,
all of which thoughtfully tell who to blame:

x-ms-exchange-crosstenant-originalattributedtenantconnectingip
x-ms-exchange-crosstenant-rms-persistedconsumerorg
x-ms-exchange-transport-crosstenantheadersstamped
x-ms-exchange-transport-crosstenantheadersstripped
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-information
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-spamscore
x-white-heron-it-services-mailscanner-watermark

My experience with people from Microsoft is that they are plenty smart
but often have no idea what they don't know. It might be productive to
make a few queries and see if we can encourage them to register them a
provisional names so at least there's less chance of collision.

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."