RE: IETF60: time needed for check-in at San Diego?

2004-07-22 06:12:09
The problem is not in the airline check in queue, that usually
takes me 10 mins. It's the nice one after that to get through
the security machines.

For those tansiting in LAX (international), my advice is: don't!
Try to get a direct flight or through San Francisco. A typical time in
my last two trips to get out of the international terminal (LAX) and get
into the boarding area in domestic is around 3.5 hours give or take...
Of course the official transit time (seen by your travel agent)
is about 2 hrs.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of
Fred Baker
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 8:24 PM
To: Pekka Savola
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF60: time needed for check-in at San Diego?

At 09:28 PM 07/21/04 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
Any experiences?  Is 1.5 or 2 hours (for example) enough at SD?

Any time *I* have been through either CLD or SAN, 90 minutes
has been quite
sufficient, and 60 minutes is usually enough for domestic
travellers. If I
were checking in at LAX for an international departure,
however, there is
no way I would arrive a minute less than two hours in advance.

Note that if you are a frequent flier on United or American
and are not
checking baggage, you can check in on-line up to 24 hours
prior to actually
boarding. You have to be a mileage club member and have
access to a printer
(found in the terminal room, or you can FAX it to yourself
via the hotel if
you have FAX software on your laptop) to print the boarding
pass. With
that, the only line is the TSA line.

The following are from United.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,50446,00.html
We know that leaving on time is important to you.

To facilitate an on-time departure, we recommend that you
allow ample time
for check-in, especially if you are checking baggage.

For travel within the United States, we recommend that you
arrive at the
airport:
 - 60 minutes before your flight if you are not checking any bags
 - 90 minutes before your flight if you are checking baggage
For international departures, we recommend that you arrive
at the airport:
    2 hours before your flight

In a growing number of U.S. airports, the Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) requires that all customers check-in
to receive a
boarding pass before entering the security check-point. The
TSA website
has a list of airports which require customers to obtain
their boarding pass.

Please note that reservations are subject to cancellation
if you are not
checked in and available for boarding at the gate:
 - At least 20 minutes prior to departure between U.S.
cities (except
Hawaii - 30 minutes), to/from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
 - At least 30 minutes prior to departure for all other
international cities.

At 20 minutes before your flight, we'll begin awarding
upgrades and start
accommodating customers who are waiting for seat assignments.

At 10 minutes before your flight you should be onboard and
ready for an
on-time departure.

For additional information about your airport, including
security line
waits, peak times and days of travel and other important
information, see
Airport check-in information.

When traveling around holidays or other peak travel times,
we recommend
you allow additional time.

There are certain circumstances that will contribute to
delays (i.e.
weather, air traffic, mechanical problems); however, United
is committed
to doing everything possible to ensure on-time departures
on all flights.

https://www.ua2go.com/ci/Login.jsp?return_to=easy_checkin
EasyCheck-in Online

Save time and avoid check-in lines with EasyCheck-in
Online. Check in and
print your boarding pass from home or the office, then
proceed directly to
security at the airport.

EasyCheck-in Online is available 1 to 24 hours prior to
your departure on
United and United Express flights within the U.S., San
Juan, Puerto Rico,
St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands.

EasyCheck-in Online is as easy 1-2-3:
  Select the itinerary you would like to check in
  Select the passengers you would like to check-in
  Review your flight information and Print

Print your own boarding pass

By printing your boarding pass through united.com, you can proceed
directly to security. If you have bags to check, you can
use curb side
check-in and still avoid lines at the airport.

In order to use EasyCheck-in Online, you must:
Be a Mileage Plus Member
Check in within 24 hours prior to your scheduled departure
Use a computer that is connected to a working printer

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
 of the intended recipient.  Any review or distribution by others is strictly
 prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender
 and delete all copies.