Re: Voting (again)

2005-04-28 08:54:26
Fred,

excellent comments.

 As stated, this sounds adversarial. While there have been adversarial
 relations with some WGs, I don't think that generalizes. In many cases
 where I have delayed updating a draft, it was because it wasn't clear to
 me what was being asked for, or there was no tickler that told me that the
 comments had been posted. "You failed to provide security" is, if you
 think about it, a pretty content-free statement. A better statement would
 be "I believe that this is open to a man-in-the-middle attack of this
 type" or "I don't see your threat analysis in the document".

yes, on all counts.

 Frankly, apart from a special cases, I think ADs sound like they are
 ruling by edict because they get a little frustrated saying the same thing
 a zillion times.

Although I suspect there are a variety of reasons, the one you cite is
particularly interesting, because it suggests that the iesg could generate a
kind of 'semantic nits' document.  Of course, the issues are deeper than
syntactic nits, but when they are consistently a problem, then dealing with
them almost can be routinized.

 My issue
 with "security considerations" has always been that I personally am not a
 security expert, and dunning me for being open to this attack or that
 without informing me that the attack exists mostly feels to me like an
 attack.

yup.

 I notice that the
 current id-nits removes that set of questions; I think the net result is
 that people will not ask themselves about obscure forms of attack. But I
 think that approach is better than saying "you didn't do an adequate
 threat analysis"; tell people how to do a good one and what questions they
 are likely to need to answer.

yup.

  d/
  ---