Re: Vancouver schedule

2005-11-10 08:35:55

--On Wednesday, November 09, 2005 23:40 -0800 Aaron Falk <falk(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote:

Am I the only one dissatisfied with the meeting schedule?  I
find that the run of meetings from 1300 to 1930 is just too
long, especially the four hour period from 1300 - 1710.  I
would strongly prefer our 'traditional' schedule over the
current one.

Even if I can't know which continent I'll be meeting in, it
would be nice to know that the daily schedule is one I can
live with.  ;)

I basically like this schedule. The idea of having the evening free for a leisurely dinner, off-agenda work, or both is, and remains, very attractive. But it is clear to me that it needs a little tuning:

        * As others have pointed out, the gap between lunch and
        dinner has gotten too long.   It seems to me that it
        might be more productive to, e.g., cut the current
        morning slot to two hours and insert an hour slot in the
        morning.

        * We may be trying to squeeze one more hour than is
        reasonable into some days.  It may be time to really
        start using Friday as other than an overflow area and a
        "maybe something will happen then, so you'd better be
        prepared to be here" time, which has never worked well.

        * The sequence of hour slot - 10 minute break - hour
        slot - ten minute break may be a little too tight.  The
        result is almost guaranteed lateness if there is either
        a hall discussion or a need for a bio break after the
        previous session.  And it overconstrains those immediate
        post-meeting quick discussions, which are often
        critical.  Maybe we need to ask Ray and Marcia to see if
        a guideline that we don't have two consecutive ten
        minute breaks could be made to work.

        * As Ole suggests, I think continuous availability of
        beverages, especially in the afternoons, is pretty
        important, especially with these longer days.  Having a
        time slot for the cookies is fine, but having a > $500
        registration fee that is supposed to cover refreshments,
        missing the window because of an important conversation
        about session follow-up, and then having to go out of
        the meeting area and stand in line to buy overpriced
        coffee (or even overpriced water) is both inefficient
        and adds insult to injury.

But, personally, I think this longer day- no evenings schedule is an improvement and hope we can continue to make it work.

--john