RE: Daily Dose version 2 launched

2007-11-07 01:27:30
Michael Dillon wrote:

The second, and more important, reason is that AFAIK most
feed readers and aggregators wouldn't be able to render the
expanding yellowish boxes (which contain ID abstracts and
other details) anyway, because they rely on CSS and JavaScript.

Since when has anyone considered CSS and JavaScript to be
CONTENT!?!?!?

Generally, RSS and ATOM feeds are produced by software.
Software can do things like parse web pages and separate
the content from the markup and also shorten long content
items to the first 300 characters or so.

In the real world, this kind of thing is Python 101 in that
beginners who have never before used a scripting language
somehow manage to set up their own RSS and ATOM feeds.

Seeing the first 300 characters is useful for things like blogs,
because it usually allows you to figure out whether you really
want to read the whole article or not.

I did not find it useful to see e.g. the first 300 characters
of the Daily Dose page. I also considered other options (such
as producing a version without the yellowish detail boxes),
but did not find them personally useful either.

(In other words: this was done intentionally, not because
I can't write Python (well, Perl in this case).)

In the real world, web site developers also do something
called "usability testing" which catches all these issues
before the site ever goes live. For example, read this:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html

I guess this is talking about real-world web site developers, who
develop sites for others for money. I would indeed expect e.g. the
secretariat to do this kind of testing for services paid from our
meeting fees. But Daily Dose is not one of those services.

(BTW, Daily Dose has been live for almost 2 years now.)

Best regards,
Pasi