Re: Putting requirements on volunteer tool developers (Was: Re: Daily Dose version 2 launched)

2007-11-07 08:16:11

michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
But given the number of messages to the list suggesting changes
and fixes, I thought it was reasonable to point out that there is
a better way, and it is documented here
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000319.html>
and it is not expensive to do either in money terms or in terms
of time spent.

This is a lovely reference.  It touts very small, incremental usability testing.

In the mid-70's, the popular email user agent, MSG, had the "Answer" command. When working on a new user agent for Unix -- it was a predecessor to MH -- I decided that that probably wasn't the right word to use for a general audience and wanted one that was natural them. I went up to a few secretaries -- hmmm, probably 5... -- and asked them something like "Someone sends you a message. You want to send a message back to them. This means you ____ to them." Every secretary immediately said Reply -- and frankly were a bit irritated, since they thought the answer (pun?) was so obvious -- so that was the command name I used.

Took about 30 minutes, mostly because I had to walk around to get to the secretaries.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking