RE: Daily Dose version 2 launched

2007-11-07 08:23:45

Gotta love this one. Nothing like developers eating their own
dog food and improving things based on their own experience.

I have a long career behind me as a developer and I do eat my
own dogfood. However, I find that submitting my work to user
testing is a rather humbling experience which generally gives me
the opportunity to change that dogfood into haute cuisine.
I didn't say that developers should not eat their dogfood or
that eating their own dogfood is bad in any way. All I did say
was that usability testing is good, can be done easily and
cheaply, and results in making the developers look good.

Frankly I have no idea what this whole tempest is about and I don't
know why you want to drag this onto the open list.

It's a real shame that some people can't seem to appreciate
the hard work the tools team has been doing and recognize the
real value they have brought to the IETF organization. They
have done much to make the IETF a more effective organization.

Speaking for many I'm sure, a big thanks to the tools team.
Keep up the good work and ignore those that somehow just don't get it.

I'll add my thanks to the tools team as well. I'm not saying
that their work is bad in any way. I apologize if my comments
appeared otherwise.

But it sure looks like their work *IS* underappreciated or they
would not have felt the way that they do, apparently due to one
ill-chosen word. I suspect that part of the reason for this
underapreciation is that they release their work before doing
usability tests and therefore the bulk of the feedback that they
receives is pointing out shortcomings in their work. But maybe
I'm wrong and there is some hidden controversy in the tools team
that I inadvertently stepped into.

I mentioned Python in my message because this page:
<http://www3.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/wiki/VancouverSprint>
led me to think that all tools were being developed in Python.
Apparently, this is not so since I've been informed that some
of the developers are still building tools in PERL.

--Michael Dillon