Putting requirements on volunteer tool developers (Was: Re: Daily Dose version 2 launched)

2007-11-07 04:21:22
Michael,

Please be careful about how you set requirements for
things like Daily Dose, or anything in the tools site,
really. The developers like Pasi are volunteers who
are providing a great service at no cost. They do it
because they themselves wanted to have the service
and because they want to be helpful to the IETF
community.

They value feedback, requirements, suggestions, and
more often than not you find that what you wished
for either has already been done or will be done within
minutes of your request.

However, they are not commercial developers working
for us on a contract, and we have no right to dictate
what they will eventually do or how they want to go
about it. Be nice and respect their opinion; their
opinions are typically very well justified.

In particular:

If I'm not mistaken, you are the developer, not the set of
end users. In which case your personal preferences are not
relevant.
Their preferences are very relevant, because often they
created these things out of their own needs. They are
very keen on hearing what the users think, but please
do not claim that their preferences are irrelevant.

If you can provide a choice of two feeds, one using
RSS and one using ATOM, then why can't you also offer a summary
feed and a full content feed?

I would think this is because its non-trivial to make a summary
of N independent events reported in the full page. Do you
show the first N, or try to make each event shorter? In any
case, individual readers are most likely interested in specific
events, so how would Daily Dose know what it can leave out
for me? This is very different from showing just the beginning
of a blog entry, for instance.

There is a grand old IETF tradition of asking for volunteers and
then randomly picking from that set. I see no reason why a web developer
who wants to put something useful on their resume, would not ask
for volunteers from the audience of this site, and then run a usability
test with them.

Where did resumes come up?

FWIW, I don't think a big volunteer test would have added any
value for a feature like this. And even if it did, do we have a right
to require Pasi to do something like that, given that it would
consume a lot of his time, delay the introduction of the new
version to the entire community, etc?

Finally, as someone else noted, we have a tool development
day coming up -- please join and add the features you need!

P.S. I thought this was part of the site redevelopment using Django
but perhaps I was mistaken.

Yes, you were mistaken. Daily dose is Pasi's news service, which is now
being integrated into to the tools site.

Jari