Re: Confirming vs. second-guessing

2008-03-16 19:42:31
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:31:24 -0700
Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
I have misunderstood before, but one point of view I've heard
expressed was that

- NomCom is supposed to choose the best candidate, while

- the confirming body is supposed to make sure NomCom chose a good
candidate

That sounds like exactly the opposite of a rational sequence.

Nomcom's always do an early filter against clear inadequacy.  If that
leaves no candidates, they search for more.

This is like doing late-stage reviews, after a working group has been
operating for two years, and raising strategic concerns about their
entire apporach:  Good issues, but at the wrong time.

So what do you see as the role of the confirming body?