Re: how to contact the IETF

2009-02-10 20:16:33

"Andrew" == Andrew Newton <andy(_at_)hxr(_dot_)us> writes:
    Andrew> Considering the IETF encourages people to communicate with
    Andrew> it via mailing lists and there really has been no other ways
    Andrew> offered to the FSF, I can't really blame them.

    Andrew> Perhaps we ought to look forward and see how the IETF can
    Andrew> better communicate with the FSF.  Perhaps maybe thinking
    Andrew> about a more formal relationship.

  uhm, the FSF is an organization, but it's not the collective of all
people writing GPL or other-open-source-licensed software.

  Mostly the people writing open source software that implement IETF
protocols are already among us ALREADY... often they don't have budgets
to attend meetings, and sometimes, their time budget limits how much
attention they can pay to the mailing lists, or to writing drafts.

  (Let along contribute to our management process and structure.
  The nomcom attendance requirements just to remain qualified for
instance are a barrier.  Lisa Dussault is the only IESG person I know of
who lives and breaths open source while fulfilling two other fulltime jobs)

  Given that almost every successful IETF protocol has had at least one
open source implementation (often two or three), the IETF really has to
do a better job of including more open source implementers.

  TLS is a REALLY good example here. It took off for everything because
managers perceive that it has an API. (What you say?) Yes.
  OpenSSL is the API they say is it.
  I suspect that FSF cares because it has another implementation which
is pretty popular, GnuTLS.
  Apparently they have ALREADY implemented this draft, PRIOR to the IPR
claim.  The code is out there, and therefore the *technique* is out
there.

  SURELY the IETF doesn't want to DISCOURAGE early implementation?

- --
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[